History of the Belgian Club (Le Club Belge)
Since 1905, the Belgian Club has served the Belgian-Canadian community in the St. Boniface vicinity and surrounding rural areas of Manitoba.
The existing property located at 407 Provencher Blvd was purchased in 1907, and construction was completed in 1908. Several building additions have followed over the years to meet expanding needs.
Membership in the early years was exclusively Belgian. Each membership entitled the holder to a share in the Club, the right to vote and the right to run for office.
Wives of members had always been welcome at the Club. After the provincial government passed legislation in 1916 extending the vote to women, women in general were welcome at the Club provided they were escorted by a member. Women were finally eligible for full membership in 1939.
Over the years, the Club has evolved to serve its members. Today, membership is no longer exclusive to Belgians. The Belgian Club welcomes anyone looking to join the local Belgian-Canadian community. An associate membership is extended to those not of Belgian descent.